Bahaar is inspired by traditional Moroccan tailoring, craftsmanship and architecture which are appreciated and recognized around the world. With this blog, we wish to share with you our passion for this ancestral heritage so refined, our love of monuments, medinas and landscapes of Morocco!
So, every end of the month, we invite you to discover a destination in Morocco and give you all the addresses that inspire us! Are you up for the trip?
For this first destination, we take you to Fez (or Fez), it is the city where we were born and where we grew up!
Fez is the spiritual capital of Morocco, in particular because it is home to one of the first universities in history, several religious schools including the medersa Bou Inania which dates from the 14th century, and many mausoleums. Its medina, called Fès-el-Bali (which means ancient Fez) is one of the most impressive in Morocco and the Arab-Muslim world. Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Fez remains rather well preserved, although it dates from the 8th century! It has remained authentic both in terms of its historic monuments and riads, and in terms of the traditions, habits and customs of its population. Note that you do not drive there because the streets are very narrow, even goods are transported on donkeys through the winding alleys!
The organization of the medina, vast and dense, is still divided into zones corresponding to trades or corporations: Tanneries, copper craftsmen selling spices etc. which gave their names to the historic districts of the medina.
For us, Fez does not only offer a trip to another geography, it promises a real journey through time!
Among the must-see places to visit:
The merdersa Bou Inania which demonstrates the beauty and the know-how of the craftsmen of Fez: stucco, calligraphy, zelliges. The work of plaster, wood, copper is incredibly refined.
- Al Qaraouiyine Mosque
- Al Attarine medersa
- the picturesque Tanneries Chouara, the oldest in the medina
- Merinid tombs
- Dar Batha (craft museum in a palace in the old town).
- Not far from the medina, we advise you to take a stroll in the Jnan Sbil garden where the shade of the magnificent trees will protect you from the heat of Fez in summer.
Know that Fez is also a gastronomic destination par excellence, its cuisine is renowned throughout Morocco for being particularly refined and mastering holiday dishes such as the famous pigeon pastilla. The cuisine of Fez excels in particular in the balance of sweet and savory.
Last but not least, the World Sacred Music Festival is held there every year at the beginning of summer. It is a unique event where musicians from all over the world come together for a beautiful lesson in openness and tolerance in a mystical setting. Everything we love about BAHAAR!
You can also take advantage of your stay in Fez to make a detour to Meknes, another imperial city of Morocco and to Volubilis and its Roman ruins dating from the 3rd century BC.
So, interested in a stay in Fez?
For practical information:
- Fez international airport connects it to several European capitals and large cities,
- If you arrive from Casablanca, Rabat or Marrakech, you can reach the city by train or private bus which are relatively comfortable (air conditioning, wifi etc.).
Our addresses of hotels and riads:
- Riad Salam, traditional canon riad
- Riad Palais d'hôtes, very pretty and affordable
- Palazzo Faraj, authentic and luxurious hotel
- Riad Fes - Relais & Châteaux, luxury and refinement guaranteed. Renowned gastronomy and as a bonus you will find the BAHAAR collections in the pretty boutique of the riad!
For those who prefer to stay in the new city:
- Jnan Palace Mariott: the hotel has recently been renovated
- Hotel Medina & Spa: ideally located between the medina and the new town
- Hotel Sahrai: superb infinity pool with panoramic view of the medina
While waiting to visit Fez, browse our site and discover our BAHAAR collections of clothing inspired by the wonders of Morocco!