Bahaar is inspired by traditional sewing, crafts and architecture of Morocco which are appreciated and recognized around the world. With this blog, we want to share with you our passion for this so refined ancestral heritage, our love of monuments, medinas and landscapes of Morocco!
Thus, every end of the month, we invite you to discover a destination in Morocco and give you all the addresses that inspire us! Are you ready for the trip?
For this first destination, we take you to Fez (or Fez), it is the city where we were born and where we grew up!
Fez is the spiritual capital of Morocco, in particular because it houses one of the first universities in history, several religious schools including the MEDERSA BOU INANIA which dates from the 14th century, and many mausoleums. His medina, called Fez-el-Bali (which means the older) is one of the most impressive in Morocco and the Arab-Muslim world. Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage, Fez remains rather well preserved, although it dates from the 8th century! It remained authentic both in terms of its historic monuments and riads, as well as in terms of traditions, us and customs of its population. Know that we do not circulate by car because the streets are very narrow, even the goods are transported on donkeys through the winding alleys!
The organization of the medina, vast and dense, is still divided into areas corresponding to professions or corporations: tanneries, copper craftsmen spice sellers etc which gave their names to the historic districts of the Medina.
For us Fez does not offer a trip to another geography, she promises a real time trip!
Among the essential places to visit:
Merdersa Bou Inania which demonstrates the beauty and know-how of Fez craftsmen:Stucuc, calligraphy, Zelliges. The work of plaster, wood, copper is incredible refinement.
- Al Qaraouiyine mosque
- Al Attarin MEDERSA
- The picturesque Chouara Tanneries, the oldest in the Medina
- Merinid tombs
- Dar Batha (craft museum in an old town palace).
- Not far from the Medina, we advise you to walk in the Jnan Sbil garden where the shadow of the magnificent trees will protect you from the heat of Fez in summer.
Know that Fez is also a gastronomic destination par excellence, its cuisine is renowned throughout Morocco to be particularly refined and master the holiday dishes such as the famous pastilla with pigeons. Fès cuisine excels in particular in the balance of sweet and savory.
Last but not least, the world's sacred music festival stands there every year at the start of the summer. It is a unique meeting where musicians from around the world meet for a great lesson in openness and tolerance in a mystical setting. Everything we love with Bahaar!
You can also take advantage of your stay in Fez to make a detour by Meknes, another imperial city of Morocco and by Volubilis and its Roman ruins dating from the 3rd century BC.
So, interested in a stay in Fez?
For practical information:
- Fès international airport connects to several capitals and major European cities,
- If you arrive from Casablanca, Rabat or Marrakech, you can reach the city by train or in private bus which are relatively comfortable (air conditioning, wifi etc.).
Our hotel and riad addresses:
- Riad salam, traditional canon riad
- Riad Palais d'hôtes, very pretty and affordable
- Faraj palace, authentic and luxurious hotel
- Riad Fes - Relais & Châteaux, luxury and guaranteed refinement. Renowned gastronomy and as a bonus you will find the Bahaar collections in the pretty Riad store!
For those who prefer to stay in the new city:
- Jnan Palace Mariott: The hotel has recently been renovated
- Medina & Spa hotel: ideally located between the Medina and the new city
- Sahrai hotel: superb Infinity Pool with panoramic views of the Medina
While waiting to visit Fez, we have made a selection of the essential pieces inspired by this spiritual city
Caftan Ines Cream
Sofia back dress